08 May 2016

Using technology to make assessment better

https://plus.google.com/+SylviaDuckworth/posts/E8TDXUAo4jE
This course on assessment has really pushed my thinking about assessment, in a good way.   I was really challenged to look closely at the SAMR and think about how I have been using technology to “improve” my assessment.

My professional goal this year was to be accountable for differentiation that would successfully move all of my students along the continuum of learning.  So I experimented with different ways of assessing student understanding and using instructional strategies to remediate and extend different groups of students.  Needless to say, the paperwork quickly became overwhelming!

I started with a very cool differentiation worksheet that looked like this:   


It gave me a good start to tracking differentiation, but eventually I had so many different versions of this sheet for a single learning objective as it got updated and kids shifted back and forth from different columns, I quickly became buried in papers.  It didn’t take me long to start experimenting with digital tools for assessment. One of my favorites is the combination of Doctopus & Goobric.  Doctopus is a way of electronically distributing digital worksheets to your class (making you the owner of all docs) and Goobric is the add-on that enables you to assess those documents using a rubric.  Watch this video by the incredible Jennie Migiera for more information.


Once you have installed the add-on, it really does walk you through the steps one at a time.  It’s pretty simple and you’ll get the hang of it in no time!  I promise!

Assessment and feedback go hand in hand and I have two new (to me) tools that make that not only possibly digitally, but quick and easy too!  

Formative is an awesome digital assessment tool that can be used to give traditional types of digital assessments, but it also has a white board tool which is perfect for open ended math questions, or for adding elements of visual literacy into your assessments.  
This is the white board tool, you can see everyone responses as they are being drawn.  You can project this too and the app give you an option to remove student names for projection.


Students can draw their responses and you can see the results live. Another really great feature of this tool is that you can give feedback to students individually based on their responses.


This is where you can score the work and send feedback to the student.
Another great tool I tried is Recap.  Recap is unique because it asks students to create video responses to open ended questions.  Videos can be just 30 seconds long making it quick and easy to watch and give feedback directly within the app.


This is the teacher overview.  The self-assessment option gives you the "got it" "partially got it", etc feedback.  


These types of digital tools for assessment not only make grading student work quicker and easier, but the results that are collected from these assessments makes it very easy to tell me:
  • Which concepts I need to teach again to the whole class
  • Which students are ready for enrichment
  • Which students need more practice
  • Which students need to come after school for extra help

And so much more.  I think students really like getting the individualized feedback and my goal, of being accountable for differentiating and moving all students along, can be met!  I have a struggling student, who I almost always have to give remediation to after these types of assessments.  He actually came to me after school one day for extra help and thanked me for helping him.  He said that he felt like other teachers expected him to get the extra help on his own.



No comments:

Post a Comment