10 April 2016

The Flipped Classroom Model

One of the resources shared for this course on Flipped Learning describes a "Flipped Classroom Model".  This really helped develop my new thinking about Flipped Learning.  As I have previously mentioned, I narrowly looked at flipped learning as using lecture videos for homework (HA!  Laughing at my much more *sophisticated* self now!). The Flipped Classroom Model looks at a larger framework, where video's and such are only part of the cycle of learning.  This might seem obvious to others, but it was new learning for me.  Important learning!

Please go to the actual article, because they actually have a much better, way more interesting graphic, but this is just me, putting it into my words, making it mean something to me ... and then of course sharing it with you!

Based on experiential learning cycles and McCarthy's 4MAT cycle of instruction.  

It's during the LEARN phase of this model that flipped learning can make learning not only independent but also differentiated.  Imagine this was a project based learning classroom.  Once the students are interested in the project they need to gather information and do research before getting started and planning the project.  And students might be tackling different parts of the project, or even working on different projects.  Flipped learning becomes essential in this type of classroom because the teacher cannot (and definitely should not) be the holder of the knowledge.  Teachers have the much bigger, much more important job of helping students process that information and make meaning out of it.  That's what teaching is all about and I believe that's why classrooms and learning communities will always be an essential part of the learning process.

I can get behind this model.  This makes sense to me.  It's not the only tool that is being used, but it's a tool.  This is a new way of looking at flipped learning for me, where the "flipping" is only part of the learning experience.  That makes so much more sense, and it is a model I can actually use in my classroom.  It is not about using lectures to teach.  I see that now.

All icons from www.nounproject.com - hook by sergey demushkin - crane by gloria vigano

No comments:

Post a Comment