13 March 2016

#matharoundtheworld

About 3 years ago my school took on a major initiative for mathematics which was adopting the Singapore Math Method.  I teach at an international school in Seoul, South Korea, and in many ways, it makes a lot of sense that we would consider more of an Asian approach to mathematics education.  Prior to Singapore Math, we were using a pretty outdated and traditional American approach - very shallow, overloaded with content, and little focus on skills.

I am fascinated with the Singapore approach.  Every year we have Dr. BanHar Yeap, an expert in the Singapore approach and an all around amazing person. I have learned so much about teaching mathematics from him, and he has totally opened my mind to the idea that people around the world learn math differently.

One of the lessons that Dr. Yeap has always emphasized with us is the idea that students should learn multiple ways of solving problems.  They should build connections between their different methods to cultivate a deeper understanding of patterns and number sense.  This kind of awareness is the basis for my final project for Unit 1 - Global Collaboration and Community.

I partnered with a middle school math teacher in New York, Eli Byers, and we worked together to create our final project, based on the idea that our math students should be learning about the many different ways that middle school students learn math around the world.

View my project on the web HERE.


http://goo.gl/H5H3oY

I am really happy with how the finished product sounds.  Eli and I know that there are many details we'll have to work out when we start implementing the project, but the fact that our students will be collaborating across the miles (and possibly with others) is exciting!

If you look at our project and think it's something you'd like to get involved with, please send me a message @laurenteather or +lauren teather!  We would love to have you join with our students in learning about #matharoundtheworld!

No comments:

Post a Comment