24 April 2016

Slow Looking

As part of my learning in this course this video talk by Brian Kennedy stood out to me:


He introduces this method for slow looking @8:52.

As a science teacher I'm constantly asking my students to make observations.  Often, I find that they look, see and sometimes describe, but rarely get past that point on their own.  This is a nice natural progression to encourage students to observe the world around them more carefully, and to analyze it and make meaning from it, to better understand the world around them.   It would make a nice poster on the wall to remind and encourage students to go further.

This carries over into mathematics as well.  Often times it takes much more than looking, seeing and describing in order to solve complex and challenging math problems.  But when students can create visual representation of problems, using models and such, then they can see and describe AND analyze and interpret. 





1 comment: